Friday, February 5, 2010

What the Bible Says about Friendship..?

So, as you know, I have doing some bible searching for what I can find on friendship. With all the problems I have been having with bev it has just seemed like a good thing to do (especially thanks to a friendly suggestion) ;)

Well here is what I found. It was a kind of a hard thing for me to do. I don't totally understand why though. Maybe because I was afraid of what I would find..

First, I used the index in my bible with the word: Friend. I found the following information.-

Friend:
-Proverbs 17:17-A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.
-Proverbs 18:24-A man of many companionsmay come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. *FootNote-One must choose friends carefully*
-Proverbs 27:6-Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.

Friends:
-Proverbs 16:28-A perverse man stirs up dissension, and a gossip seperates close friends.
-Proverbs 17:9-He who covers ober an offense promotes love, but whoever repeats the matter seperates close friends.
-Proverbs 10:12-Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers over all wrongs. *FootNote: Through slander such people create distrust that culminates in allenation and conflict.*

Then I went to the study part of my Bible and looked up friendship. This is what I cam to find:

Friendship:
-1Samuel 23:16-And Sauls' son Jonathan went to Dacid at fores and helped him find strength in God. *FootNote: A truely good friend points us to God in hard times and good times.*
-2Samuel 1:26-**I didn't wite the verse just how I understood it** So i took it to mean: a friendship is something genuine and dear, more special than any other relationship (bestfriends) full of love and concern.
-Proverbs 27:17;**My Favortie i think**As iron sharpens iron, so one man can sharpens another. *FootNote: "Sharpens anothoer" Developes and molds the other character. (my imput): So choose friends carefully. just as a good man could come along and felp you and point yo uin the right directions, someone bad can just bring you down and make you back track.
-Proverbs 1:10-11&15-16-My son, if sinners entice you, don't five in to them. if they say "come along with us; lets lie in wait for someones blood, let waylat some farmless soul (15-16) My son, do not go along with them, do not set foot on their paths for ther feet rush into sin, they are swift to shed blood. *FootNote: murder is just used as an example in this verse. It could be replaced with any sin.*

So thats what I found. I keep reading over it and praying about it.

Tell me what you think?

1 comment:

  1. I think the stuff that you found was pretty good, and a good description of friends..
    I will let you know my favorites: Proverbs 17:9 &1st Samuel 23:16

    They help with my comparison of Bev, so that's why I like them.. they were my basis on my things that I did with her.
    I will continue to pray for you as well, just make sure that you keep praying about it, you know Gods definition of friendship now. :)
    ilyy.

    ReplyDelete